I know this is not a particularly deep-cut, but Van’s performance in this video is exceptional. A brief (or maybe not) list of what I like about this performance:
- Van is sweating even before the first chorus; it’s almost like he was shadowboxing backstage just to work up a good lather.
- The shirt that Pete Wingfield (keyboard) is wearing.
- How Van starts off slow and then wakes up about 1:20 into it and blows your scalp off.
- The bass reverb working as a foghorn.
- The microphone guy getting his ass kicked by the Van-ness at 2:50.
- The nothing-fancy-but-appropriate keyboard solo, like rain falling on the bay.
- Van showing that he’s not too shabby on guitar.
- Van’s non-verbal scatting that is better than most people’s singing.
- It is a seven-minute song that does not feel like a seven-minute song.
(Song recommendation by Steven McCarty)